We make every effort to be sure your procedure will be comfortable and pleasant. A typical procedure for hair transplantation will take between five and eight hours, depending on the size of the session you are having.
- Upon arrival at our office you will sign a surgical consent form.
- You will enter the surgical suite and we will check your vital signs; blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature. All you need to do is relax; you will receive our full attention.
- You will be given an antibiotic to help prevent infection and a mild oral sedative to help you relax. The oral sedative is not mandatory, but we do recommend it for your comfort. You will be awake and relaxed during the procedure.
- Your “Before” photographs will be taken, then Dr. Goertz will review the surgical plan with you and design/draw in your new hairline. Once the design is complete the procedure will begin.
- The hair at the back of your head will be taped up to allow access to the selected area of permanent hair-bearing donor scalp. Hair in the selected area only is trimmed and marked for precise excision. This area is numbed (anesthetized) using a very fine gauge needle. Once the scalp is numbed, the surgery is virtually painless as the nerves are blocked.
- In FUE procedures a larger area is shaved to allow for extraction of the follicular units. This part of the procure takes longer than FUT as each follicular unit is extracted one at a time. Hair growth will cover the area nicely in 15-24 days.
- In FUT procedures an area of hair-bearing tissue is removed from the back of the scalp, Dr. Goertz stitches the donor area closed using sutures (not staples) leaving a virtually undetectable scar. Your existing hair covers the stitches until they are removed in 7-10 days.
- In FUT procedures Dr. Goertz closes the donor area as a team of technicians microscopically dissect/divide the tissue into individual ultra refined follicular unit grafts containing one to 3 hairs on average. In FUE procedures grafts are trimmed. In both procedures grafts are stored carefully to prevent cell death and optimize final hair transplant results.
- Preparing the grafts takes one to two hours, during which time you can relax and watch DVD’s, read or even sleep. Your lunch will arrive and you will be able to eat prior to the next step.
- Once the graft preparation is almost complete Dr. Goertz will prepare the recipient area. Using a very fine needle, the scalp is anesthetized utilizing a nerve block. Recipient sites are made in the scalp at the proper angle and depth to accept the grafts.
- After the recipient sites are made, two to three surgical technicians begin implanting the grafts into the recipient sites taking great care to ensure proper handling and placement of each graft. This part of the procedure can last between 2 to 4 hours.
- After all grafts have been placed and checked, the donor and recipient areas are cleaned and you are prepared to return home. You will be given a list of post-operative instructions and a post-operative care kit; these will be reviewed with you prior to your departure. If oral sedation was used, you must not drive yourself home. It will be necessary to arrange for transportation home prior to arrival at the clinic.
The operation was much more comfortable than I expected. The pain medicine that you gave me worked very well and quite frankly I never really felt any pain.Wayne L. Zinter